Course Selection for 2023-2024
Welcome Incoming 9th Graders: Class of 2027
We were so happy to meet all of the incoming 9th graders on Tuesday, March 28 at Mira Loma High School for 9th grade Registration Night! If you did not attend the evening event, please follow these steps to choose your courses for the 2023-2024 school year:
- Read these directions
- Watch the video that takes you step by step through the form: Course Selection Video Tutorial
- As you watch the video, fill out the "Freshmen Course Selection List Class of 2027" form. Click this link to open the form: Freshmen Course Selection List Class of 2027
- If you want to join the IB Middle Years Program OR the International Studies Program, please sign up on your form and fill out the application.
- Incoming 9th Grade Google Slideshow
- Turn in the form in one of these ways:
- Bring it to the Mira Loma counseling office Monday-Friday between 8:30-3:45
- Mail the form to Mira Loma Counseling: 4000 Edison Avenue Sacramento, CA 95821
- Email the form to Lisa Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduling Update: For CURRENT 9th, 10th & 11th Graders
Counselors will be meeting with all current 9th, 10th, and 11th graders between February 28-March 22 to help them choose courses for the 2023-2024 school year.
During the meetings, counselors will also talk with students about their summer school options:
In person summer school
Apex summer school at home (exams in person)
Schedule of Course Selection Meetings
February 28-March 3: Class of 2024 (Meeting through your Social Studies Classes; if you do not have Social Studies, you will get a pass to meet with us on March 3)
March 6- March 10: Class of 2025 (Meeting through your English class)
March 13 - March 22: Class of 2026 (Meeting through your PE class)
Preparing for the Course Selection Meeting
Look in Q at your transcript to see what courses you need to take
Talk to your teachers about what courses are available to you next year
Consider taking an International Baccalaureate or International Studies course
Consider what level math, world language and science courses would be best for you
Review and fill out the Course Selection Sheet for your grade level NEXT YEAR: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UVV-sHLFx8u50gtxafUUgsjpDy_v-v1C?usp=share_link
Go to Naviance and add or edit your courses for next school year in “Course Planner”.
Follow the instructions below.
Watch the youtube video to help you with this process. https://youtu.be/-OYlQY96EwQ
NAVIANCE INSTRUCTIONS to ADD or EDIT COURSE PLANNER: Students and parents/guardians can create and view course plans in Naviance anytime by following these directions. NOTE: Once your counselor locks your course plan, you will need to come to counseling to request a change:
students log into their student portal
open a google tab
click on the waffle in the top right corner
click on the icon "Naviance Student"
click on Courses at the top of the Naviance page
click on "manage my course plan"
After course selection is completed, if students change their minds, they must see their counselor for changes to the course plans.
Naviance Course Planner: How Do I Do This?
Counselors will spend the month of March meeting with current 9th, 10th and 11th graders. Students will sit one on one with their counselor and choose their courses for the 2022-2023 school year. Courses will be inputted into our Naviance College and Career site under "Course Plan". Students will select their summer school classes during this meeting as well. See the Summer School tab on this site for more information.
Students and families/guardians can create & view course plans in Naviance anytime by following these directions. NOTE: Once your counselor locks your course plan, you will need to come to counseling to request a change:
- students log into their student portal
- open a google tab
- click on the waffle in the top right corner
- click on the icon "Naviance Student"
- click on Courses at the top of the Naviance page
- click on "manage my course plan".
- After course selection is completed, if students change their minds, them must see their counselor for changes to the course plans.
- Here is a youtube video to help you make a "Naviance Course Plan"- We will use your course plan in Naviance as your Course Selections for next year. Make sure they are accurate so you get the classes you want. https://youtu.be/-OYlQY96EwQ
- Use the Resources Below & HAVE FUN!
If you have problems editing your course plan, please stop by counseling at lunch for help. Remember that once your counselor locks your course plan or you submit for approval, you will not be able to edit your plan. You will need to see your counselor for changes.
Choosing my Schedule for 2023-2024 FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
1. How do I my choose classes for next year 2023-2024?
- The counseling staff has created a schedule for course selection. Students will come to either the Science Flex Space or the Library with their class on the assigned date. Each student will sit with their counselor. The counselor will share the students' transcript with them. Students and counselors will choose classes together. The classes will be put into the Naviance "Course Planner". At this meeting your "Course Plan" will be submitted so changes cannot be made in Naviance.
2. When will I sign up for Classes?
- See the Schedule above on this page. Juniors will come with their Social Studies class; Sophomores will come with their English class; Freshmen will come with their PE class.
3. When will current 8th graders, Class of 2027, choose classes for 9th grade, and how will they choose classes?
- Mira Loma invites all 8th graders to attend our course selection night on March 28, 2023. Eighth grade students and their families will meet in groups with a counselor or administrator on this night to ask questions, hear about programs and choose classes for 9th grade.
4. Once I choose my classes for next year, can I change my choices? How do I change my choices?
- Once you meet with your counselor on the assigned day, you may request a course selection change. Come to the counseling office at lunch to talk to your counselor about the change. Make a request for changes as early as possible in April. The longer you wait to make a request for change, the more difficult it will become to give you the change. In May, August and September, it may be impossible to make the change.
5. How do I know what classes to choose for next year?
- Your counselor will help you choose your classes. Most importantly, you must meet the graduation requirements. You can also look at your Naviance "Course Planner" for courses that will be offered. In addition, you can look at the "Mira Loma Course Handbook" for courses that Mira Loma offers (NOTE: Not all courses in the "Mira Loma Course Handbook" are offered every year).
6. What are the San Juan Unified/Mira Loma High School Graduation Requirements?
- To graduate from Mira Loma High School, students must earn 220 credits by the end of senior year. Students must complete the following classes :
- 4 years of English, 3 years of Social Science, 3 years of Math through IM 2, 3 years of Science, 2 years of PE, 1 semester of Health, 2 years of World Language, 1 year of Arts OR Career Technical Education
7. Where can I find a list of courses that are offered at Mira Loma?
- You can find a list of classes offered in your Naviance "Course Planner" OR you can find a list of classes offered on the Mira Loma Counseling Webpage
8. Who can I talk to about my International Studies or International Baccalaureate classes for next year?
- Your counselor knows a lot about all the programs at Mira Loma and can help you choose classes for IS and IB. You can also email or meet with the IS Coordinator (Email: Ms. Garzona at email@example.com) IB MYP Coordinator (Email: Ms. Volzer at firstname.lastname@example.org), IB Diploma Coordinator (Email: Ms. Jacks at email@example.com)
9. When will I sign up for Summer School? How do I do this? What are my options for Summer School?
- You will sign up for summer school with your counselor when you choose classes for next school year. If you miss this sign up or change your mind about summer school, come see your counselor at lunch to sign up for summer school. Your counselor will fill out the summer school form for you.
10. How do I put my classes into the "Naviance Course Planner"?
- You can find directions for creating your "Naviance Course Planner" by following the directions at the top of this page and watching this youtube video: https://youtu.be/-OYlQY96EwQ
11. How does the school decide which courses to offer?
- Creating the schedule for Mira Loma is a complex process. Most importantly, we choose classes that will help students meet the San Juan Unified Graduation Requirements. After students choose courses, we look at what students want and offer those classes. We must have enough students signed up for a class to offer it. We also look at the Mira Loma program requirements and offer classes that meet those requirements. It is important for students to think hard about the classes they want and sign up for those classes so we offer the right classes.